Waking up feeling guilty because I skipped my walk yesterday, I headed out the door this morning with a dual purpose.  Of course, exercise was my first priority, at least that’s what I told myself when I walked out the door.  Being the dedicated walker that I am, I did take the long way to the garage sale and then hurried home the shortest route possible to show the Great One my new found treasures - a Ken Griffey, Jr. figure and Pinnacle canned baseball cards.  In no time at all, we were headed back in the direction from whence I came.  On second look, I even found a nice pair of wooden bar stools for Sara to take with her when she moves out next month.

Even if we had not found anything, this garage sale was well worth the stop just to meet this wonderful young man.  He had recently lost his father and we were honored that he shared stories about him with us.  They had spent many years building a sports memorabilia collection together and we could tell that he was reliving a lot of fond memories this morning.  I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have to blink back tears more than once.

As Charleston in July doesn’t offer much in the way of garage sales, we only had one more on our list this morning and by the time we got there, they were already closing up.  Can’t say that I blame them.  During the summer, we tend to gravitate towards one of my favorite inventions - air conditioning.  How did humans ever survive summers without it?  Yes, we are truly spoiled.


While we were out, we headed over to Charleston Attic Mall on Wappoo Road.  It just happened to be a Carriage House Auction Gallery Saturday and I think we have found our new favorite way to spend a couple of Saturday afternoons a month. 

We had heard about their auctions before but never seemed to be able to get there.  We really weren’t planning on staying.  (I had barely brushed my hair before leaving the house; fortunately, I had changed out of my sweaty walking clothes but I sure wish I had taken a shower – a little make up would have helped, too.  Needless to say, I shied away from any mirrors.)  However, when we started looking over the items to be auctioned, before I knew it, the Great One had disappeared and returned flashing his bid card.  It seems a certain little Match Box Coca Cola truck had him champing at the bit.  Oh, if only we had stopped at that . . .

From what we understand, it was a record-setting night.  Auctioneer, Justin Pye, kept on going until 7:30.  With the tables still loaded down, reluctantly we gave in to our rumbling stomachs and pried ourselves out of our chairs around 5:30 knowing we were going to miss out on some of the best deals of the night.  We’re definitely planning on returning on August 13th  for their next auction.   Preview begins at 10 AM, auction starts at 2 PM and we’re staying until the lights go out.  

Maybe we’ll see you there.